Teamwork Makes It Happen
It takes many people to run a food pantry. Our volunteers come from all over – some are members of our congregation, some are friends of Hillside, and many come from the community and high schools.
What They Do
Volunteers support the food pantry in many ways –
- picking up food from donor stores and the Evanston Farmers Market during the season
- sorting and stocking delivered food items
- pre-bagging meat, produce, or other items
- inside the pantry bagging food during distribution
- in the registration area welcoming new and returning patrons
- directing traffic in the parking lot
Other support for our pantry come from the planning and communication teams that are continually looking for ways to support this growing ministry. We are using a computerized registration system, along with our partnership with the Greater Chicago Food Depository. Our communications team provides information sharing to our church members as well as to our volunteers and patrons through periodic newsletters, this website, Facebook, and contacts with local news agencies.